Wednesday, March 23, 2011

RE: high-five* PSYCHE!

As promised in my last post, here is what I have come up with so far.  I want to keep wording on the slides to an absolute minimum because I want them to mainly listen to me.  The PowerPoint is just for an added effect.

Slide 1:  Essentially, we will have a guided discussion on the phrase "that's so gay," and students will be led to the conclusion that to say this phrase is to say homosexuality is wrong (and the entire LGBTQ community).

Slide 2:  Next, students need to realize the effect saying such ignorance has on people.  I figured that introducing them to Tyler Clementi would work.  I will give them a summary of events that led up to his tragic death and, hopefully, this will get them engaged.

Slide 3:  To really bring the punch to them, the final slide has the text from Clementi's last text message.  Having a few of the students read it aloud might really hit home for some of them.  I will relate it to them by having them think about how they would feel if their mother/father, brother/sister, boyfriend/girlfriend sent this text to them, or vice-versa.

Then, we will have a wrap-up discussion.

Let me know your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. This seems incredibly powerful! I want to see it and maybe figure out a space for you to talk about what you're doing to the sociology. Stop by next week for sure!

    ReplyDelete